- Maintain a rigorous, broad-based major in biological sciences that provides a compelling learning experience.
- Emphasize general purpose problem solving and analytical abilities that have broad applicability and so foster an ability to adapt to the changing world.
- Emphasize the fundamental building blocks in biology that constitute themes of unification and integration.
- Pursue outstanding graduate training that includes skillful interdisciplinary communication.
- Devise and maintain a non-major instructional program that captures the attention of students and enables them to understand a wide range of contemporary biomedical, biological, medical, and environmental issues.