- Maintain major research foci and strive for excellence in the areas of cell and molecular, organismal, ecological, evolutionary, and behavioral biology.
- Promote and foster integration across these foci (e.g., by recruiting faculty with interdisciplinary and integrative research programs).
- Encourage research that has both field and laboratory components.
- Encourage research at the interface of empirical and theoretical biology.
- Develop and maintain research programs that comprise the foundations for teaching and service, and maintain those activities at the forefront of emerging disciplines.
- Disseminate the results of research through publication and persuasive presentations.