What you should do before making a decision:

  • Meet with your professor to discuss what you actually have in the class.  Frequently students are performing better or worse than they think, and the professor is usually the only person who can tell you exactly where you stand.  You need to be absolutely clear on where you are and what you need to get in the remainder of a course to pass in order to make a good decision about withdrawal (W) or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U).  You then need to evaluate if it is realistic for you to perform at the level, and you should not assume you will do radically better than you have before without good reason.  It also does not help to ride out a course to the end that you have no possibility of passing.
  • Talk to Financial Aid (Kerr Administration Building),  if you have loans, grants or scholarships.  They can tell you the financial repercussions of dropping a course.  In general, you must complete at least 67% of all credits attempted for your current degree or certificate. Both OSU and accepted transfer credits will be counted as attempted credits. You must contact the Financial Aid office to confirm this general rule related to your specific situation.
  • Meet with your advisor to talk over your decision and what impacts it will have on future coursework and degree progress. 

Guidelines for S/U or W from a course:

  • No Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) allowed for major, minor or option courses. S/U is OK for Baccalaureate Core or other courses not required by major, minor or options.  If the course is in your major, minor or option, your only option is withdrawal (W).
  • Any grade below a C- in an S/U class is a U, while a D is passing for many courses in your major. The BI 21x series and all math courses require a C- or better, and students who are in a series should have a C- or better before moving forward. Most professional schools will not accept Ds in courses that are prerequisites.
  • Students must have 2.0 cumulative OSU and major GPA (see MyDegrees), but they can have down to a D- in some courses (see above).
  • When a course is repeated for a grade at OSU, only the second grade counts for GPA even if the grade is lower.  Both the first and second grades will appear on transcripts. If the student repeats the course for a third time, the grade will not replace the second grade in their GPA, and all grades will appear on transcripts.  A student cannot repeat a course as S/U if they received a grade in that course previously. See the appropriate repeated courses academic regulations (AR 20) for more information.
  • Incompletes (I) can be granted in specific circumstances at the instructors discretion as noted in the academic regulations. (AR 17)
  • Further information on W and S/U grading
  • Further information on Incomplete "I" and other grading issues 

Important S/U and W dates (see Academic Calendar for more details):

  • Week 1: The last time students can add and drop classes online. Students can change the grading of a course to Satisfactory/ Unsatisfactory (S/U) if the course is not required for a major, minor, or option by filing a  (requires advisor signature), but if done, it cannot be undone.
  • Week 2  Students can drop a course online. Adding courses requires department and instructor approval. Contact the department office of the unit offering the course for details. 
  • Week 3: Students can still change the grading of a course to Satisfactory/ Unsatisfactory (S/U) if the course is not required for a major, minor, or option by filing a Change of Grading Basis Form (requires advisor signature) or students can withdraw (W) from a course online. Ecampus student should work with Ecampus student services to route their petition through the appropriate individuals.
  • Week 7: Friday of week 7 is the last day to S/U or W from a course.
  • Week 8: After week 7 students can only petition to the Registrar to receive a W or S/U grade in single courses, but they must have a significant reason why they missed the deadline (serious illness or emergency).  Students considering withdrawal from the term should see the appropriate regulation.