If you are studying abroad or completing an IE3 Global Internship you should review all the steps and information on the back of the Go Abroad in Biology and Zoology document or the Go Abroad in Human Health Professions document.

If you are completing an IE3 Global Internship it will be counted as elective credit for the 180 credits needed to graduate or may be approved for up to 3 credits of upper division science electives for the new Zoology or Biology majors and most Biology options . Email Brock McLeod a description of the IE3 Global Internship in question if you are seeking approval for one that is not listed in the Go Abroad in Biology and Zoology document or Go Abroad in Human Health Professions document.

Students who are completing a study abroad program should email Brock McLeod to see if there is a list of past coursework for students that have attended your program of interest. Use this list as a starting place, but it will generally not be all of the choices you have. You can use the list of course designators to find department that may offer courses of interest (e.g. MB courses at James Cook University are Marine Biology). If you are taking courses to complete another major or minor you should meet with them before you go. A few considerations for study abroad course selection:

  • Courses taken abroad with 100 level numbers are generally equivalent to 100-200 level courses here, while courses with 200-300 numbers tend to be 300-400 level OSU courses.
  • Students who are going for a term abroad should focus on single-term, non-series courses, and health profession students should not take any professional prerequisites abroad. Advisors can help with scheduling all or part of series at other times in most cases.
  • It is a good idea to focus on elective categories in your major and option which can be used much more broadly that specific courses. For example, look for upper division science or organismal biology electives instead of a specific course like BI 311 Genetics.
  • It is a good idea to take courses that are things you cannot take at OSU and take advantege of where you are going.
  • Students can generally take some or all courses abroad that do not count for specific requirements and still graduate in four years. Courses taken abroad on OSU approved programs count toward the 180 requirements for graduation even if they do not complete specific required courses.